Near miss at DCA this morning. Be careful out there.

Well, if I goof up my landing in LAX, I can assure you it won’t be because I was still mentally living 5 hrs in the past about DCA.
See, this is where you show you have ZERO clue what you’re talking about. There’s NOTHING that guarantees that you’re going to have a smooth/no issues flight after it. Doesn’t have to be landing…anything that happens between when you go back up and until block in, you’re going to be in a degraded mental state…because you come off that adrenaline burst, and 5hrs later you’re the equivalent of someone with a couple of drinks in their system in terms of mental fatigue.

Sorry hoss, but you can’t control that surge and you sure as hell can’t control your body’s reaction to when it wears off. I’ve had a no-joke return to field for smoke in the flight deck event, afterwards when I was checked by the EMT’s, I could not control my arms shaking like Polaroid picture.

But you do you, Honey Boo Boo Child…I’m going to not tempt fate (there’s a good aviation book about fate), ride home in the back, relax and fill out my report when I’m rested.

Explaining why I took the conservative route of removing myself from the trip is HELLUVA lot easier than explaining to a panel of company/FAA/NTSB people why I flew “because I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, I felt fine”. They’re not going to give you an award for trying to complete the mission.

then, there’s the other end of the spectrum of lingering or not. The Vietnam helo pilots who in certain large battles, had been shot down and crashed, rescued, get another aircraft, get back into the battle, shot down again and crashed, rescued, repeat sometimes three times.

Obviously, a combat situation and a routine daily airline flight have absolutely zero in common or do to with one another, in situation or priority, so this example has nothing to do with that comparison nor is it making one. It’s merely an interesting look at what different stressors do to different people. Some thrice shot down helo pilot or Thud pilot who had just escaped from over Hanoi, would probably welcome a nice “relaxing” V1 cut. 🤣

For an airline flight, none of them here in the USA are the last jet out of Saigon as it’s getting overrun. There’s no overriding need to push the envelope.

We all pretty much agree that the crew that flew the RTO should go back to the gate and call it a day. But what about the taxiing crew?

See, this is where you show you have ZERO clue what you’re talking about. There’s NOTHING that guarantees that you’re going to have a smooth/no issues flight after it. Doesn’t have to be landing…anything that happens between when you go back up and until block in, you’re going to be in a degraded mental state…because you come off that adrenaline burst, and 5hrs later you’re the equivalent of someone with a couple of drinks in their system in terms of mental fatigue.

Sorry hoss, but you can’t control that surge and you sure as hell can’t control your body’s reaction to when it wears off. I’ve had a no-joke return to field for smoke in the flight deck event, afterwards when I was checked by the EMT’s, I could not control my arms shaking like Polaroid picture.

But you do you, Honey Boo Boo Child…I’m going to not tempt fate (there’s a good aviation book about fate), ride home in the back, relax and fill out my report when I’m rested.

Explaining why I took the conservative route of removing myself from the trip is HELLUVA lot easier than explaining to a panel of company/FAA/NTSB people why I flew “because I didn’t think it was that big of a deal, I felt fine”. They’re not going to give you an award for trying to complete the mission.

Yeah, if I’m shaking and uncontrollable, I’ll call out. Hasn’t happened. This does. It seem like one of those deals. They all stopped well before any “life flashed before me” moment.

I lost an engine in a light twin right after takeoff, which made for an interesting return at night time skimming tree tops. That sucked. Close call.

But after landing, I didn’t go to the hotel. The flight school flew a C172 to us, and I got in that thing back seat and flew back.

We all pretty much agree that the crew that flew the RTO should go back to the gate and call it a day. But what about the taxiing crew?
Much tougher call I would think. I would want that vindication or clarity of what happened. I think if I made the call to the tower and got that it wasn’t our goof, I could turn the page and move on. Otherwise I’d be wondering the whole flight.

Meh. I woulda asked for a number to give ‘em a spanking and then took off :)

The Delta Southwest RTO at MDW was far more scarier and louder than this. I wonder if either of those guys called quits and went to the hotel.

then, there’s the other end of the spectrum of lingering or not. The Vietnam helo pilots who in certain large battles, had been shot down and crashed, rescued, get another aircraft, get back into the battle, shot down again and crashed, rescued, repeat sometimes three times.

Obviously, a combat situation and a routine daily airline flight have absolutely zero in common or do to with one another, in situation or priority, so this example has nothing to do with that comparison nor is it making one. It’s merely an interesting look at what different stressors do to different people. Some thrice shot down helo pilot or Thud pilot who had just escaped from over Hanoi, would probably welcome a nice “relaxing” V1 cut. 🤣

For an airline flight, none of them here in the USA are the last jet out of Saigon as it’s getting overrun. There’s no overriding need to push the envelope.

Mil ops tempo, fueled by adrenaline, caffeine, and go-pills can delay the onset of emotional processing.

Flying commercial for hours with AP gives you too much time to question every life choice you ever made.

Meh. I woulda asked for a number to give ‘em a spanking and then took off :)

The Delta Southwest RTO at MDW was far more scarier and louder than this. I wonder if either of those guys called quits and went to the hotel.

That would have been epic.

DCA Ground, let me know when you can write down a number.

Having ground control clear you across an active runway is common. DCA does it all day, every day. As do a lot of other airports. I don’t know the answer to your coordination question. For what it’s worth, I recognized the other controller voices on the tape, but not that ground controller. She is either new or in training.
Just from my experience flying into DCA as a passenger, it seems there's one main active runway with the terminal on one side. I've been trying to imagine why an airliner would be on the other side of the runway and need to across it to get to the terminal if there's one runway that's mainly used.

Back